Category Archives: Cybersolutions

How to configure Cisco Linksys WRT54G v.2 to run Pixelserv on DD-WRT

Cisco Linksys WRT54G v.2
Cisco Linksys WRT54G v.2

This is how I was able to implement the solution given by Aviad Raviv found here How to Remove Advertisements with Pixelserv on DD-WRT


I am not going to go through his tutorial or how to get DD-WRT onto your Cisco Linksys WRT54G v.2. Aviad did a wonderful job, for the most part, and there are plenty of DD-WRT tutorials out there. I followed every step that Aviad wrote up, downloaded what he said to download, made every configuration as it was laid out but I could not get the script to run. I kept getting errors like these

In the WRT54G commands GUI:

sh: eval: line 1: /jffs/dns/ not found


And this in the SSH CLI

root@Deadend:~# sh /jffs/dns/
: not line 10: {
: not line 12: }
: not line 13:
: not line 15: {
/jffs/dns/ line 189: syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")

I spent a few hours trying this and that, permissions, and manually editing the file with Notepad++ and / or vi. Nothing worked. I knew about the big Indian / little Indian situation when working with files to be run on a Unix / Linux system with a Windows system. I have never run into that issue while using Notepad++ though. This was making me crazy, plus I could not remember ever even opening that file before I uploaded it to my WRT54G so what was the deal. Well as a last ditch effort I tried to run dos2unix on the file on the WRT54G … well that program is not on the WRT54G, to save space I am sure. So I uploaded the file to my CentOS 6 box and tried to run dos2unix … well it wasn’t there, I did a minimal install when I setup that box so I got:

-bash: dos2linux: command not found

Thankfully that machine is connected to the Internet and a quick

sudo yum install dos2unix -y

got it installed. I then dos2unix’ed the file and migrated it back to the WRT54G; BTW the file size changed from 10KB to 9KB so something was changed for sure. After putting this new version of the sh script on the WRT54G I rebooted it. When it came back up I checked WinSCP and the files that were to be created on first run of the script were there just as Aviad said they would be.


To recap if you are not getting success with running the script after going through Aviad’s tutorial then you need to run it through dos2unix and re-upload to your router. I assume this could be a problem on other routers not just the Cisco Linksys WRT54G v.2.


I would have made this post as a comment on Aviad’s tutorial but it was not open for comments. Hope others will find this and it help them .



I spent quite some time making up this file. It is a personal-ads-list.conf with 3,595 blocked sites, mostly adult sites. I grabbed the initial list from jacop_’s post, then I formatted it to work with Pixelsrv. When you upload and reboot the router it will take some time, maybe 10 minutes or more for Pixelsrv to parse through the list.

Fixing McAfee ePO error (EPOCore)


Are you getting an error in your ePO deployment like this “EPOCore – com.mcafee.epo.core.ServerNative.getFipsModeNative()I”? So was I, keep reading.


My ePO deployment had been chugging along without issue for four (4) months since I installed it last October. From what I had heard that was quite the feat. Not to say that ePO is a bad product, I quite like it. I think others have issues because the art of ePO it that you are perpetually tuning it, and any information system that has changed being made on it has a greater chance of going down. This is what took my installation down and in the following I will explain all the frustrating trouble shooting steps my cohort and I performed along with our solution and determination of the cause.


It had been a thankfully normal day in a very hectic week. I had just put some finishing touches on a PowerShell script and was about to work on finding out what was causing our somewhat annoying latency problem on our virtual environment when my friend and colleague reminded me that the latest pool of virtual workstations was not getting the McAfee agent pushed to it and subsequently all the endpoint security like antivirus, etc. So I jumped onto the ePO web console to take a look. The login page appeared but didn’t look quite right, I logged in and the dashboard really didn’t look right – there was no data in any of the widgets and all the extensions in the menu were gone. So I started simply by logging out I then noticed that the scroll bar was very long so I scrolled to the bottom and was created with 20+ red single line error messages. All the messages were similar epoMigration – Dependent plunging SoftwareMgmt failed with initialization error.

If you want to skip the long story and get to the solution click here

Initial Troubleshooting

I backtracked from one plug-in to the next till I found the start of the failed plugins, which turned out to be EPOCore. “Well that’s your problem right there” I said to my buddy who was now surfin’ on my shoulder. The next logical step was to checkout the host server to see if any services had gotten bound up. We found that only one McAfee service that was set to automatic was not running, the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.0 Event Parser Service. When I tried to start it I got that let down of a message stating that the service has started be immediately stopped. Next I restarted the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.0 Application Server Service, doing so also restarted the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.0 Server Service (the web server). We received no errors and the services stopped and started with no apparent issues. Unfortunately, the web console told a different story; it was still showing all those errors at the login screen. So following in the footsteps of my fictional British TV show mentor, Roy, I tried “turning it off and on again,” the whole system that is. Still no fix.

Continue reading Fixing McAfee ePO error (EPOCore)