Tag Archives: solution

Fixing McAfee ePO error (EPOCore)

Problem

Are you getting an error in your ePO deployment like this “EPOCore – com.mcafee.epo.core.ServerNative.getFipsModeNative()I”? So was I, keep reading.

Environment

My ePO deployment had been chugging along without issue for four (4) months since I installed it last October. From what I had heard that was quite the feat. Not to say that ePO is a bad product, I quite like it. I think others have issues because the art of ePO it that you are perpetually tuning it, and any information system that has changed being made on it has a greater chance of going down. This is what took my installation down and in the following I will explain all the frustrating trouble shooting steps my cohort and I performed along with our solution and determination of the cause.

Discovery

It had been a thankfully normal day in a very hectic week. I had just put some finishing touches on a PowerShell script and was about to work on finding out what was causing our somewhat annoying latency problem on our virtual environment when my friend and colleague reminded me that the latest pool of virtual workstations was not getting the McAfee agent pushed to it and subsequently all the endpoint security like antivirus, etc. So I jumped onto the ePO web console to take a look. The login page appeared but didn’t look quite right, I logged in and the dashboard really didn’t look right – there was no data in any of the widgets and all the extensions in the menu were gone. So I started simply by logging out I then noticed that the scroll bar was very long so I scrolled to the bottom and was created with 20+ red single line error messages. All the messages were similar epoMigration – Dependent plunging SoftwareMgmt failed with initialization error.

If you want to skip the long story and get to the solution click here

Initial Troubleshooting

I backtracked from one plug-in to the next till I found the start of the failed plugins, which turned out to be EPOCore. “Well that’s your problem right there” I said to my buddy who was now surfin’ on my shoulder. The next logical step was to checkout the host server to see if any services had gotten bound up. We found that only one McAfee service that was set to automatic was not running, the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.0 Event Parser Service. When I tried to start it I got that let down of a message stating that the service has started be immediately stopped. Next I restarted the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.0 Application Server Service, doing so also restarted the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 5.3.0 Server Service (the web server). We received no errors and the services stopped and started with no apparent issues. Unfortunately, the web console told a different story; it was still showing all those errors at the login screen. So following in the footsteps of my fictional British TV show mentor, Roy, I tried “turning it off and on again,” the whole system that is. Still no fix.

Continue reading Fixing McAfee ePO error (EPOCore)